Friday, March 13, 2015

//A HOUSE BECOMING A HOME: THE GUEST ROOM//

The thing I love most about this new room is that it sits at ground level with double windows looking out towards the lake. We cannot see the lake from our house, but we can certainly tell where it is, especially in the mornings when we see the fog rising off the waters. This view produces the most beautiful sunrises, and the fiery pink reflections on the opposite side of the lake from the sunset are a beautiful sight as well.


This tiny room was not a bedroom when we moved in; we added a wall/door and it will now double as guest room/ baby room when the time comes for her to have her own space. For now I am enjoying the empty, clean feeling. When it is time to put a crib/ baby accessories in here I'm afraid it will feel cluttered, but we will make it work and are grateful for this extra space.

Here is a glimpse of the sad, dark space just a few short(long) weeks ago.



I didn't buy anything specific for this room, except a pendant light which is not hung yet; I would like to buy a neutral lamp for the bedside and maybe add a few things as I find them to make this space feel more personal. But like I said, it is small and the simplicity is so inviting to me.



The day bed was given to us by my aunt when she no longer had a need for it; it was Addisyn's bed until we decided to switch things around and put in her room a double bed and dresser passed down from Brian's dad. The antique washstand in this room is a matching piece for the set in Addi's room. The white quilt is a special piece made by Brian's grandmother for him. I love this especially, because even though it is pure white, it is actually a picture of a buck and doe which is just perfect for him. Bonus for me that it is beautiful and can be used to set the tone in this room. The rocker is a piece I got from an online yard sale sight. It's a little pink for my liking and I hope to get it reupholstered someday but for now I think it fits nicely in this room. The faux sheepskin rug is a $13(?) buy from Ikea. I am debating buying another because until this week I had it beside my bed and loved the soft landing when I roll out of bed in the morning. "Roll" in literal terms as its nearly impossible to coax my round, achy body to sit up in the morning. The pillows are place mats I bought at Home Goods, ripped a small opening in a corner seam, stuffed with stuffing and hand stitched back up. They are not the coziest place mats, if there is such a thing, but they add the cozy look this bed deserves. I'd like to also find a textured blanket to throw on the end of the bed and maybe a few more pillows. Lastly, the chalkboard is a piece I redid years ago and made its rounds in our first house. It now acts as a cover for the breaker box.

And lest you think we only hope to have single guests sleep here, we also have a queen sized air bed that will squeeze in here for the guests who actually want a full sized bed to sleep in. When we were discussing how to put this room together last weekend, Brian thought it such a good idea to have the daybed in here for the times that I sleep in the baby's room, so I don't have to sleep on the floor. I don't remember a whole lot of sleeping in the baby's room with our first two babies, so I don't know if he was trying to tell me something or just sell his vision, but either way, it looks a whole lot better than an air mattress. Who knows, with an actual bed in here maybe I WILL steal a few nights of sleep to myself :-)

We are planning on switching our bedroom to the basement this weekend, and unless baby makes her arrival in the next few days, I will try to have an update on our room next week. I now have just a week and a few days until my due date, so every day holds exciting possibility, but the goal of having the basement done before she comes is balancing it enough that I am not going crazy with anticipation/misery :-)



//What would you add to this space to make it more inviting for our guests? Does it need more to look at on the walls, or maybe some pillow mints? :-) //

7 comments:

  1. This is very pretty and very inviting, and I don't think I'd add a thing! Love all the white space. And I'm really enjoying your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! The white is a welcome calm in a house of chaos:-)

      Delete
  2. Just soon you could add a vase of budding twigs on that stand...or fresh hand picked spring flowers:) Its pretty as it is and I can't wait to see it before too terrible long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, that would be the perfect touch! My yard could use come sprucing up so I have fresh flowers on hand. HINT HINT :-) Hope you guys willl be able to come soon!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous tranformation, Kayla! I love what you did with this room...making it so bright and inviting. The day bed is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really a good looking room, Kayla. I'm sure that your guests will really be comfortable during their stay there. Maybe you can also work on its lightings to make it look brighter. But all in all, it looks great! You did a good job in this renovation. :-)

    Gregg Hogan @ American Basement Solutions

    ReplyDelete